Incredible Market Technician Helene Meisler of RealMoney.com on Price, Sentiment, and Probing for a Bear Market Bottom
Courtesy of Howard Lindzon
Panic with Friends – Investing for Profit and Joy
Today’s guest is a master of the markets. I’ve been following her work since the start of TheStreet.com. To say she’s a student and a fan of the markets is an understatement. She shares some incredible stories with us today about her journey.
Helene got started in the markets in 1982 at Cowen and Co and then moved on to Goldman Sachs where she was their first ever technical analyst. And she learned early on that if you’re going to work at Goldman you’re going to put your money where your mouth is. Today she is a mentor to tens of thousands of people that like to think clearly about the markets and learn about technical analysis, price and sentiment. We discuss the complicated dynamics you have to deal with when running people’s money, being an analyst, and building stock charts by hand – Helene is a legend with a great sense of humor. You can find her on FinTwit talking about all this stuff every day.
You can listen to the podcast here on Spotify or Apple podcast and now all the episodes are on my Youtube channel as well. You can click subscribe on any of these channels and get the podcast alert each week.
You can also listen right here on the blog:
More details on the podcast are below…
Guest: Helene Meisler
Profile: Market Technician and contributor to Realmoney.com
What’s Helene Panicked About?: I think NASDAQ is going to rally and I’m afraid it won’t.
- Introduction. (00:42)
- Welcome Helene. (04:02)
- Helene lands on Wall Street in 1982. (05:43)
- Becoming a market technician by working with a mentor. (08:36)
- Are you a technical analyst, or just a chart reader? (12:11)
- There’s no “one” correct way – her style might not work for you. (13:23)
- Moving to Goldman Sachs. (14:37)
- The General Motors $GM trade. (16:01)
- Calls that shook her confidence. (21:16)
- Entering a Bear Market in 2021. (25:56)
- Tops and Bottoms aren’t built in a day. (27:57)
- Working with Jim Cramer. (28:22)
- Reacting to “V” bottoms in the market. (31:29)
- Helene’s typical day as a market technician. (34:07)
- The pain of a broad market decline. (39:24)
- Wrapping it up. (44:23)
- Closing thoughts. (46:16)
© Panic with Friends, 2022. All rights reserved.
Disclaimer: All information provided is for educational purposes only and does not constitute investment, legal or tax advice, or an offer to buy or sell any security. For full disclosures: https://howardlindzon.com/disclaimer/